Pai Gow Online Game Guide
The fascinating game of pai gow poker has evolved from an old Chinese tile game. Today, this game is often found in the Asian section of land-based casinos in addition to many online casino locations.
Pai Gow Poker Introduction
Although the original pai gow game used a type of domino, today’s pai gow pursuit takes place with a 53 card deck. The modern game of pai gow poker combines elements from the ancient Chinese tile game with a traditional poker game. The main objective of the pai gow game is to create two individual poker hands containing five and two cards respectively. It is interesting to note that in this game, the player competes against the dealer’s hand and not against other players.
Pai Gow Online Poker Basics
As is the case in many casino games, the first step in the pai gow poker game is to place bets. Following this, seven cards each are dealt. The player then needs to create two separate hands while bearing in mind that the five card hand must be a better poker hand than the smaller one. In the event that the high hand is not a stronger hand than the low hand then this is considered a foul and the player automatically loses. Once the two hands have been created, the dealer’s cards are then shown. The player’s two hands are then compared with the dealer’s hands.
An extra twist to the pai gow game is present in the form of a joker that acts as a wild card. It should be noted that the joker wild card may only be used as an ace and can only act in certain situations. This wild card may be used to create a straight, a flush or a straight flush.
Winning at the Pai Gow Game
- Should both the player’s hands be stronger than the dealer’s corresponding hands then the player wins.
- In the event that the player and the dealer each have one better hand, then this produces a tie that is referred to as a ‘push’.
- In the case that the dealer’s two hands are stronger than the hands of the player, then the bet is lost.
- In the event that the hands of the dealer and the player show the same value, then the dealer is considered as the winner and the player loses the wager.
- In the event that the dealer wins one hand and the second hand produces a tie, the dealer wins the game.
- In the event that the player wins one hand and the second hand produces a tie, then no-one wins and this is a push.
Probably the most important point to note in the pai gow game is that the five card hand has to be stronger than the two card hand. Taking this into consideration, it is also important not to ignore the smaller hand, as in order to win the game the player needs to win with both hands.
Pai Gow Card Hand Rankings
The hand ranks for the game of pai gow are as follows in descending order: five aces / royal flush / straight flush / four of a kind / full house / flush / straight / three of a kind / two pair / pair / ace.
Pai Gow Tips
- Reading the rules and instructions for the pai gow game before play is highly recommended.
- Players may benefit from the free pai gow games that are available at many online casino sites. This provides the player with a useful tool to learn about the game and practice skills for no charge, before playing for real money.
- It must be stressed that the five card pai gow hand needs to be stronger than the two card hand. If this rule is not obeyed then the game is automatically over and the wager lost.
Controlling one’s bankroll well and keeping to pre-determined limits is advisable.
- Many experts would suggest trying to create the highest possible two card hand. Players should bear in mind that the low hand is just as important as the high hand from the point of view of the bet placed. In this game, the player needs to win both hands in order to win the bet.
- Pai gow is an enjoyable form of entertainment that manages to combine skill with an element of luck. This pursuit appears to be becoming increasingly popular, now that pai gow poker is easily accessible at many best online casino sites.