Blackjack Online Game Guide
The popularity of the game of blackjack is unquestionable. It is interesting to note that blackjack is an easy game to learn and therefore the element of simplicity could perhaps be a part of the game’s appeal.
The Basics of Blackjack
The main objective in the game of blackjack is to obtain a hand that is as close as possible to a total of twenty-one, without exceeding this number. A hand that goes over the total of twenty-one is known as ‘bust’ and this brings about the end of an unsuccessful game.
How to Play Blackjack Online
The first step in a game of blackjack is to place a bet. Following the placing of a wager, two cards that are face up are dealt to each player. The dealer is then dealt two cards one of which is shown and the other is face down. It is then time for each player to decide whether to stick with the present cards or to request additional cards in an attempt to get closer to a total of 21. It should perhaps be stressed that players that exceed 21 go “bust”. Once the players have finished, then the dealer’s second card is revealed. It is important to note that in the event that the dealer has a card total of 17 or higher then no additional card is permitted. However, in the case of a total of up to 16, the rules dictate that the dealer receives another card.
Value of the Blackjack Cards
Although the suits of the particular cards have no relevance to the outcome of today’s game of blackjack, it is important to note the values of the different cards in this pursuit.
- The King, Queen, Jack and the number ten cards all have a value of 10.
- An Ace may be valued as either 1 or 11.
- Cards between 2 and 9 are played at face value.
Online Blackjack Terms
- Hard hand: This term related to a hand that does not contain an Ace or that contains an Ace that is used as a 1.
- Soft hand: This refers to a hand that includes an Ace used as an 11.
- Even Money: The even money option occurs in a situation where the player has a blackjack and the dealer’s shown card reveals an ace. This means that the player may choose to receive even money before checking the dealer’s second card.
- Hit: This expression relates to the request for an additional card.
- Split : This term is used to describe a hand of two original cards that are split or separated into two separate hands. Such an action is permitted in the event that the first two cards are worth the same.
- Double down: This involves the original wager being doubled after viewing the two dealt cards. It should be noted that after doubling down, a player may then receive only one additional card.
- Surrender: This involves giving up the hand and thereby forfeiting half of the wager.
- Early surrender: This relates to an action as described above that is permitted before the dealer checks to see if the hand contains a blackjack.
- Late surrender: In this situation, the dealer looks at the hand to see if it contains a blackjack. If the hand does indeed feature a blackjack, then a player may not surrender.
Points to Note in the Game of Blackjack
- A royal card or a ten together with an Ace as the two original cards dealt produces a blackjack and an automatic win. In the event that the dealer also has a blackjack, this presents a tie and the wager placed is returned to the player.
- In the event that the dealer’s hand is bust, then the players win.
- Players obtaining a total that is higher than the dealer’s hand win.
- Players obtaining a total that is lower than the dealer’s hand lose.
Tips for the Game of Blackjack
- Reading up on blackjack rules and information regarding the particular type of blackjack game concerned is highly recommended.
- It is recommended to take advantage of the free online blackjack games available before playing for real money.
- It may be beneficial to look out for any blackjack bonuses and special offers.
- As with other games, planning a blackjack bankroll in advance and placing winning and losing limits to the gaming session is important.
- It should be noted that skill does have a part to play in the popular game of blackjack however the presence of lady luck at the blackjack table is also often greatly appreciated.